Here are 6 pool maintenance tips that you need to try right now.
- Skim and Scrub. Skim leaves and debris off of the surface of the water daily and scrub the sides of the pool bi-weekly. Doing this steadily will prevent algae build-up. For the bottom of the pool, consider also buying a robot vacuum.
- Keep consistent chemical levels. Unbalanced water looks murky, irritates skin and eyes, and can cause your pool to become a bacteria breeding ground. You can find testing kits at Audubon Cesco’s pool store. Test the water at least once a week and adjust the levels, as needed, to achieve an ideal balance. When all the chemicals are properly balanced, your water should be crystal clear, have no scent, and leave very little residue on your skin.
- Keep An Eye On The Level. The physical water level is just as important as the chemical composition. The levels will naturally fluctuate after a heavy rainstorm or an afternoon of your kids doing belly flops. You want a level that is halfway up the opening of your skimmer. Use a garden hose if the water is too low and if it’s too high, use submergible pump to drain the excess. If you’re pool’s liner is a vinyl or fiberglass, consider consulting a professional as pumps may damage them.
- Schedule Routine Service Appointments. Trust the experts. You may not have the proper knowledge or the time to care of your pool’s mechanical equipment. At least once a year, have a pool service professional come out for the opening, maintenance, and closing of your pool.
- Winterize! It’s more important to make sure that you properly secure your pool for winter as it is during the summer. It’s no fun to remove your pool cover at the start of summer only to find a leak or that the water is full of bacteria. Correctly balanced your chemicals one last time. Then, blow excess water out of your plumbing lines. Finally, invest in a good cover to prevent winter’s debris from entering.
Do you have a pool maintenance questions? Call us today!